It was really easy in the past when one could just distribute the application and then relying on the “world wide” JRE to take care of the rest. That is not the case after Java 8.
For the last 7 months or so I have been working on moving Mapton from Java 8 to Java 11 and beyond.
I’ve tried many setups back and forth:
- using the Platform JavaFX modules,
- using jars,
- using the AzulFX and LibericaFX JRE’s,
- among other things.
I ended up with the following workflow:
- Run NetBeans on a JDK with bundled JavaFX modules
- Just use JavaFX classes, without using any fx dependencies, exclude if necessary
- Use jlink to create a custom, one for each OS, JRE based off AdoptOpenJDK and the latest JavaFX jmods from Gluon
…and the thing is, creating a custom JRE was the general advice all along.
I guess it’s just to roll with the changes. 🙂